FAMILY MEAL PLANNING: PART FOUR NUTRITION IN DISGUISE
When it comes to ensuring our children are eating good quality, nutrient dense and healthy food items... a little creativity can go a long way!
Often just the mention of certain food items (broccoli, zucchini, asparagus) can leave the kids turning up their noses and running from the table.
Try incorporating a few of the following ideas when planning your meals, you'll be happy knowing you've added some added nutritional value and the kids won't be running from the table!
· Mix whole-grain noodles into regular spaghetti or macaroni and cheese dishes.
· Pass cooked vegetables in a food processor and add to hamburger patties, meatballs or meatloaf
· Finely grate zucchini or carrots and add to pancake batter
· Add a variety of finely chopped vegetables to canned or packaged soups
· Add freshly juiced carrot juice to canned vegetable or tamato juice
· Add grated zucchini to squares or muffin mixes
· Puree vegetables and add to chilli or spaghetti sauces
· Add grated carrots to tuna or chicken salad
· Hide vegetables in casseroles and main dishes
· Mix low fat sour cream into a favourite salad dressing
· Serve raw vegetables with a favourite healthy dip
· Mix regular peanut butter with freshly ground peanuts
· Use whole grain bread for grilled cheese sandwiches, the toasting will
hide the color and the kids will be "none the wiser"
· Go from white bread to 60% whole wheat bread for one month, then
introduce whole-grain bread. You can make a sandwhich using one slice
of each (60% whole wheat and a whole grain) place the lighter one on the
top, facing up.
· Most children will eat a meal that they have helped to prepare so be sure
to give the kids some "prep" time in the kitchen.
· Let the kids make cookies with you. Use whole wheat flour and carob
chips and they won't even notice the difference; especially if they are
the ones preparing them.
· Add some whole grain, homemade cookies into a bag of prepackaged
cookies and eventually replace the unhealthy selections with the
homemade healthier selections.
· Use cookie cutters to make fun sandwiches with whole grain bread
Sending A Wish Your Way For A Well BALANCED Day